Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The stupid Mockingjay.....

The Hunger Games was one of my favorite books of all time. I enjoyed Catching Fire too but Mockingjay goes down as one of the worst books I have ever read. I am sooooo disappointed beyond belief that my beloved Hunger Games ended this way. Poor Collins. She could have been HUGE but I think she just ruined her writing career.

I am glad I read Mockingjay for the resolution of the triangle but I am not sure if I will recommend it to others. I understand why she couldn't be with Gale but I felt Collins rushed through the resolution so much that I felt she ended up with Peeta by default. They hated and tried to kill each other the whole book, then the war is over and they hook up simply because they were in the same town. It even said he had to try and fight his urges to kill her. I would have liked something more romantic like she goes home and realizes she needs help to rebuild her home and can only think of Peeta. He had disappeared after the war so she had to track him down and convince him to come home. Then they sweat and rebuild their home town and people flock to their city because they loved Katniss and of course want her to be with Peeta. So through time they fall back in love.

If it had a more happier ending with peace and happiness, It could have redeemed all the dread and misery throughout and I would have liked it more. But it started dissonant with the unfamiliar location, then went crazy with Peeta's condition, then went disgusting and horrible sad with everyone dying, then went to the mediocre finale. If I wanted a Greek Tragedy I would have read one.

By the way, what is up with everyone dying AND then her mother abandons her too? The girl sacrificed sooooo much and you long for happiness for her but it is just more misery on top of misery. Since the whole book she had an estranged relationship with her mother, I really was hoping with all Katniss went through would be rewarded with a mother who loves her and they turned to each other because they were all the family they had anymore.

They are in production of the Hunger Games movie and I just WISH that they make only ONE movie and somehow manage to sum the relationship and tie it up nicely in that. As I said, The Hunger Games (the first one) is one of my favorite books of all time and I would LOVE a movie but not with the resolution Collins gave it.

1 comment:

nicole said...

Ok, excuse me? Where have you been????? Are you still in Georgia? How are your kids? That's the stuff I want to see up on your blog pronto! :)