Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Christmas in Utah...

Brett's parents flew us out to Utah for Christmas this year and we were so excited to go. We did have several things to be nervous about like-
1. Flying out with two kids
2. Flying out with two sick kids and two sick adults
3. Packing for three very distinct events: winter in Utah, Christmas gifts, and warm sunny Hawaiian weather.
4. Getting everything out with three suitcases
This flight was the first time we decided not to drug the kids with Benedryll because we felt that in the past Riley has been more cranky than sleepy. Since I knew he would be awake alot I spent HOURS preparing for the flight. We bought a Video Ipod and downloaded several TV shows, packed Thomas train pieces, packed Play-doh and much much more. As stressed out as I was about Riley, I was even more stressed out about Jada. She was severely sick as the departure date approached and she already is hard enough to entertain. She is very mobile and hates being confined. Her entertainment level/attention span is 10 seconds. My back pack was loaded with things to do, all in an attempt to keep her quiet at least.
We got up bright and early, after a restless night for me, and began our 9 hour travel day. To my great relief, everything actually went pretty smoothly. The actual flight was four hours and I started off with Riley. I played with him and it was draining but he behaved very well. Jada slept the whole time with Brett. When Jada woke up, we switched as was previously decided (to switch half way through the flight). So I played with Jada the whole time and Riley immediately went to sleep with daddy. So though it was tiring, it was so much better than I expected. It was a GREAT trip for Brett!
Our first stop in Utah was Cafe Rio for our beloved Beef Salads. Unfortunately since I was so congested I could barely breathe, much less taste the food.
When I first got there, I had already been sick for nearly a week so I thought I would for sure feel better by Christmas and defiantly for Hawaii. Well that wasn't the case. I was so congested that I just bummed around the house the whole time. I tried to run on my inlaw's treadmill but it was pathetic. I ran about 12 minute miles. But I had to keep working out because I was going to Hawaii in a few days!!!!
By the end of the week, I was feeling well enough to visit some friends and family but I didn't get to visit even half of the people I wanted to. But I got to see my long time friend Robin and my uncle Dale.
Oh well, enough complaining!
Brett's mom and dad and sister and brother were so AWESOME at playing with the kids! I mean, seriously, they were always willing to help even without me asking! Brett's other brother, Ben and his wife Marie have two little ones about the same age and they came over everyday so the kids got to play so much. Plus Brett's sister, who we hardly ever see, drove down and stayed with us for several days. She has a son a little older than Riley and so it was nice for them to play too.
Some things that Riley did that I am so used to but my inlaws thought was cute...
1. Says 'sure' instead of yes
2. Says 'bless you' any time you sneeze OR cough
3. Says "thank you mommy" any time I do anything for him
4. Shares very well with others
5. Eats very well and isn't picky
6. Is obsessed with watching Blues Clues and playing with Thomas

Here are some pictures from our WHITE CHRISTMAS...



For Hawaii info, stay posted...

No comments: