Sunday, June 29, 2008

How come my friends are such good photographers and I am not?



So I am frustrated today because recently I gave up on going to the portrait studio and getting professional pictures every month. I have to drive all the way to Tucker to take them, usually wait 30 minutes (because they run on 'baby time'), and then drive all the way back two weeks later to pick them up. On top of all that, I am NEVER happy with the photos! The screen that you view them on is really bad and unclear so I kind of guess which picture I like best. The reason why I go to JC PENNY is because I always have coupons which give me an 8x10, 5x7, and 4 wallets for less than $5. And since I go every month, I need it to be cheap. Well I decided to start doing it myself and editing them and sending them off to winkflash/snapfish to be printed. This only takes a few days turnaround time and I don't have to leave my house. However the pictures are turning out AWEFUL! I am using a super nice camera so I don't understand why all my friends are taking beautful pictures of their kids and mine SUCK! There are always bad shadows and the skin looks bad! I am doing it outside to get natural light. I mean can I only take pictures during a certain time of the day to get pictures without shadows? So I give up. Back to the portrait studio next month...

4 comments:

Jessica said...

May I give you some tips? The most important thing is light. Natural light is the best, as you know. But it's also important to set your camera to the right settings. Take pictures in the shade, or on an overcast day. This will eliminate most of the shadows. Then, to get even better lighting, try to take the pictures in the morning, or late in the afternoon, or early evening. Then, it's important to do some editing in photoshop. if you want, you can send me a few photos that you really like, aside from the light and color, and I can see if I can tweak them in photoshop for you. Also, if you have a camera where you can set aperture, try to take the photos with a low number, like F4.0 or lower. That way, the background will be blurry to accentuate the baby, and it will allow for less light, without using a flash. Good luck, and let me know if you need any help

Anonymous said...

Dont be so hard on yourself! It was you first time, plus photograpy is hard. I have been trying to teach myself for a year and I still only get good shots 50% of the time.

Cope girls said...

You are updating your blog! Those pictures look awesome of Jada, where did you get those done? I think they look great!

Melanie said...

I love the one of Jada laughing!